The Advanced Yoga Teacher Training is offered once a year, February through May, over 12 consecutive weeks.
This program is open to individuals who have successfully completed a 200-hour foundational yoga teacher training. The 300-hour curriculum is designed to deepen and enrich the students’ experience both as practitioners of yoga and as teachers. Graduates will enter the yoga industry with the skills and confidence to create a successful and sustained career as a yoga teacher. Entering the burgeoning yoga industry is a very desirable and popular career choice. This comprehensive, advanced training will give graduates a substantial leg up in a profession that is becoming increasingly selective.
The Advanced Yoga Teacher Training Program meets Student Aid criteria. Student loans may be available to eligible students.
- Elements of great teaching and great studentship
- Setting sacred space and solid ground
- Creating a safe space for yourself and your students
- Alignment and refinement principles applicable to all styles and rhythms of practice
- Principles of safe, efficient and creative sequencing for beginner to advanced asana
- Meditation, Pranayama, Mantra, Mudra
- Teaching voice and presence
- The economy and art of language
- Bridging the gap between ancient teachings and modern times
- Private yoga therapy- working with the individual
- Daily teaching practices with facilitator and peer feedback
- Anatomy and physiology exploring yoga asana in action
- Anatomy studies incorporate palpation, movement and visual aids
- Anatomy-targeted sequencing
- Clear observation and effectively addressing misalignments
- In-depth study of the richness and relevance of the Bhagavad Gita
- The power of storytelling and myth and the teacher as storyteller
- Trauma-sensitive language
- The subtle body and the chakra system
- Incorporating subtle body practice into personal ritual and public classes
- The gods & goddesses of Indian mythology: the divine masculine and the divine feminine
- Exploration of archetypal forms and their symbology to inform, support and inspire your practice and teaching
- The Business of Yoga
- Goal-setting and life balance
- Empowered finances
- Reputation, marketing and self-promotion
- Energy management and self-care
- On-going: daily practice, teaching exercises, homework and assignments, personal inquiry and meditation
Principles of Practice
- Excellent teaching is founded in dedicated practice over a long period of time. Supported by an elegant system of biomechanics and a workshop style approach, asana classes will focus on skillful embodiment of technique, including primarily clarity of foundation and form in all pose families. Teachers in training will also learn mantra and meditation practices to further explore their inner landscape, increase their experience of these both traditional and accessible techniques, and to share their teachings from the seat of direct experience.
- This 300-hour teacher training’s central focus is on unearthing your most authentic voice, deepening your experience, and clarifying your path as a career yoga teacher. Teaching exercises will work on polishing your observation skills, teaching voice, teaching to all levels, and addressing common misalignments and therapeutic concerns with increased precision of both verbal and physical assists. Learn to address structural alignment in a room of one or fifty students. Through increased understanding of bio-mechanics, refined and creative approaches to class-building and sequencing, mindfulness of language, and diversification of skills, teachers will leave this training more confident in their ability to offer superior and inspired yoga instruction.
Anatomy & Physiology
- An endless curiosity for the body and its systems is one of the secrets to a successful yoga teacher. After all, we ask our students to move themselves into poses for the sake of increased health and well-being. Knowing why yoga “works” is the question answered by looking at anatomy in function within the yoga practices; to understand its effects from the outermost layer of the body to its most subtle realm. This training will increase your understanding and passion for the muscular and skeletal structures of the body, and go significantly deeper into yoga’s application within the respiratory and circulatory, endocrine and nervous systems, including looking at the bodily effects of pranayama and meditation. We will explore the chakra system, and its applications to the psychology of daily life. Upon completion of this training, students will have an enriched understanding of the body and its functions, knowing how to teach with increased attention to therapeutic needs, sensitivity to the energy body and more confidence with alignment instruction.
Yoga Philosophy, Lifestyle & Ethics for Yoga Teachers
- The why determines the how. Knowing the intention behind a teaching or the context in which a practice was developed directly influences the way it is taught and the way it is lived. Through lectures, presentations, journaling exercises and contemplation, we will dive deeper into yoga history and the roots of yoga practices, including critical contemplation on what it means to live a “yogic” lifestyle. We will also explore the richness of Hindu mythology and its cast of deities and symbols, illuminating the power of archetype, and allegory, to inform and inspire our teaching. Upon completion of this training, teachers will have the tools to teach with a balance of reverence, understanding and knowledge of yoga tradition and the ability to articulate and weave both fundamental and esoteric teachings within the context of modern living and into any teaching environment.
Business of Yoga
- Develop the business side to your teaching career with the tools to remain anchored in your unique skills and message with a sense of integrity and the awareness required to remain professionally relevant in competitive industry. This course will cover how to integrate a productive business practice into your habits including a professional mind-set, financial and negotiation tools, leadership skills, professional ethics training, promotional tools including creative use of social media and website building, branding, and simple, productive tools for the day-to-day management of being an independent contractor and maintaining a yoga business. A career in yoga can take a multitude of shapes – from teaching public classes, operating a studio, to niche markets, online yoga businesses, teacher training faculty, and beyond. This course will touch on each aspect of the yoga industry and educate teachers in how to create a business that that suits them personally and professionally.
- Throughout this training, teachers will practice teaching on a daily basis. They will be working closely with their peers and facilitators not only in supporting better teaching but also enhanced skill with giving, receiving and applying feedback.
February 27 – May 18, 2017
This full-time program takes 12 weeks to complete. Classes are scheduled Monday to Wednesday – 9:30 am to 5pm and Thursday 9:30am to 12:30pm. Classes are not scheduled over the Easter Monday.
February 26 – May 17, 2018
This full-time program takes 12 weeks to complete. Classes are scheduled Monday to Wednesday – 9:30 am to 5pm and Thursday 9:30am to 12:30pm. Classes are not scheduled on Easter Monday.
Bring all your questions to an info session! Meet faculty members who will discuss the school, programs, instructors and opportunities in the yoga industry.
- Wednesday, August 2 at 6pm
Should you enroll in a Yoga Teacher Training after attending an info session, you will receive a discount of $100 off the cost of tuition (this discount can’t be combined with others). Please register at least one day prior to an info session by email email@example.com or phone 604-688-5060.
The Vancouver School of Yoga welcomes students of any sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, national or ethnic origin, or religion.
- A 200-hour Yoga Teacher Training certificate
- High school diploma or equivalent or 19 years of age prior to the start of the program
- Completed application form and health evaluation
- $100 application fee
- Personal interview with the Admissions Director
- Fluency in English
- Free of disability or disease that could impede the learning process of the individual or jeopardize the health and safety of fellow students/clients
Upon successful acceptance of your Vancouver School of Yoga application for admission, you will be required to provide the following:
- Proof of age and identity (a photocopy of either your driver’s license, passport, or other photo ID)
- Proof of High school diploma or equivalent, if under 19
- A doctor’s note stating that you are in good physical health with no disability or disease that could impede the learning process of the individual or jeopardize the health and safety of fellow students/clients
- A signed copy of the Student Enrolment Contract
- A 20% deposit on tuition and other costs
|Texts and Supplies||$250.00|
|Student Record Archiving Fee||$10.00|
This $100 fee is paid at the time the application is submitted to VSBM/VSY and is non-refundable.
Tuition for the Advanced Yoga Teacher Training is $4,200. A 20% deposit on the total cost of the program less the application fee is due upon registration. The balance is due according to the payment plan selected.
Texts and Supplies
All equipment, including yoga mats and props, is supplied by the school. Students are welcome to bring their own mat if preferred. Each student receives a t-shirt and the following texts:
- Anatomy of Movement by Blandine Callais-Germain
- Light on Yoga by BKS Iyengar
Student Record Archiving Fee
PTIB bylaws require that all career training student records are stored electronically off-site. Each student’s enrolment contract, transcript and diploma or certificate is stored with Datawitness for a period of no less than 25 years, retrievable only by VSBM/VSY administrative staff.
- Option One
- Full payment at the time of registration
- Save Money! Receive 5% discount on tuition if paid one month in advance.
- *This offer may not be combined with any other discounts.
- Option Two
- Deposit 20% at the time of registration
- Payment 80% on the first day of classes
- Option three
- Deposit 20% at the time of registration
- Payment #1 – 40% on the first day of classes
- Payment #2 – 40% on an agreed upon date (approximately 1/3 through)
Student Aid BC: The Advanced Yoga Teacher Training will be approved for government funded student loans as a full-time program. Financial assistance may be available to eligible students.
For more information go to: www.studentaidbc.ca or call the school for assistance.
VSBM/VSY is pleased to offer one scholarship per Yoga Teacher Training intake. The scholarship covers 25% of the tuition fee.
With their application forms, scholarship applicants need to submit a short essay describing the following:
- Why do you need the scholarship?
- Why are you a good candidate?
- What are your intentions once certified to teach yoga?
We will accept applications for the scholarship up until one month prior to each course start date and make our decision quickly thereafter. Please note the scholarship recipient will become the “Lead Hand” for their class which involves various responsibilities including assisting instructors and ensuring the studio is clean and tidy.
Tuition Refund Policy
Please note, our refund policy has been updated as of October 4, 2016 as per PTIB bylaws.